Why it Matters
When faced with a hypothetical expense of $400, 68 percent of all adults in 2021 said they would cover it exclusively using cash, savings, or a credit card paid off at the next statement. The rest said they would pay by borrowing or selling something, or would not be able to cover the expense.
But Black and Hispanic adults were much more likely than White or Asian adults to face difficulty paying bills, and these differences were present at all income levels. Forty percent of Black adults and 35 percent of Hispanic adults had, or were close to having, difficulty paying bills, compared with 19 percent of White adults and 11 percent of Asian adults.
- 1Equitable Climate Solutions: We advance programs at the nexus of climate and economic opportunity, establishing a foundation for sustainable, scalable progress in underserved communities. Our objective is to implement high-potential, locally led initiatives and ensure all communities can access climate funding.
- 2A Just Tax System: We are creating collaborations to create a just tax system and advance pro-worker tax and revenue policies. Our goal is to advance solutions that will help at least 25 million American workers achieve economic stability.
- 3Inclusive Economic Growth: We are a founding member of the Economic Opportunity Coalition (EOC), a historic effort to catalyze and align public and private investments to accelerate inclusive economic growth, particularly for underserved communities.
Pathways to economic equity and opportunity are truly diverse. Across the country, transformative solutions and hard work are helping Americans realize a more equitable economy.
- Feb 12 2024Rockefeller Foundation Welcomes New Economic Opportunity Coalition Member: Xcel Energy
- Feb 01 2024Statement by Elizabeth Yee, Executive Vice President of Programs at The Rockefeller Foundation, on the Child Tax Credit
- Oct 25 2023Group of Nation’s Largest Corporations Announces Historic Plan To Expand Access to Capital and Opportunity for Underserved Individuals, Communities and Businesses