Applying for an Academic Residency
Academic Writing Applications are evaluated in three main areas:
- The professional qualifications and achievements of the applicant: Successful applicants demonstrate significant professional contributions to their field over the course of their career or show evidence of being on a strong upward professional trajectory.
- The quality and theme of the proposed project: Successful applicants apply to work on projects that will introduce new thinking and knowledge to their field of study. Projects that are aligned with and will inform the discourse around the Rockefeller Foundation’s strategic goals to advance more Inclusive Economies and build Resilience are best suited to Bellagio as are those that connect with the Foundations core issue areas of Advance Health, Revalue Ecosystems, Secure Livelihoods, and Transform Cities.
- The suitability of the project for the Bellagio Center: The Bellagio Center must be an appropriate forum for the proposed project. Projects that require special equipment onsite, excursions off the grounds, or access to research libraries are not suited. Successful applicants can clearly articulate how the multi-disciplinary environment of Bellagio will contribute to their work.
Please Note: Former residents applying for a second residency must wait at least five years since their first residency before submitting a new application. Second-time applicants must demonstrate significant professional achievement and/or project advancement since their first residency.
All applications are completed online. If you have difficulty accessing or submitting an online application, please contact the competition administrators at email@example.com.
Go to application
Application components include a detailed project proposal, curriculum vitae and work samples, and three letters of recommendation.
- Applicants may apply up to a total of three times.
- There is a lifetime limit of two residencies.
- Those who have held residencies (or spouses who accompanied residents for more than one week) must wait five years before reapplying.
- Applicants are not allowed to re-submit any unsuccessful proposals, but they are permitted to submit revised versions.
- Children are not allowed to accompany recipients of residencies.
- Spouses/life partners may accompany the resident or may apply for a concurrent residency.
Detailed instructions and tips for completing the online application are available at the Bellagio Application Resource Center where applicants can also sign up for instructional webinars. We strongly recommend that applicants carefully review the instructions prior to beginning an application.
Go to application