The Rockefeller Foundation is seeking an experienced Program Associate to support the Bellagio & Fellowship team’s research and content function. The role involves research and ideation across the full range of the team’s activities, requiring curiosity, creativity and versatility, a global perspective, and a passion for innovative thinking with the potential to advance human progress. The successful applicant will work closely with the Managing Director, Bellagio & Fellowships. This is a demanding multidisciplinary role, offering great opportunities for professional development, ideally suited to someone with excellent conversational, presentational and writing skills and a background in journalism, public policy or a similar field.
As a key part of this history, The Rockefeller Foundation’s Bellagio Center on Lake Como, Italy, is one of the world’s most notable convening sites for policymakers, practitioners, influential scholars, artists, writers and scientists, to advance ideas and social innovation. Building on its rich history, the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio & Fellowships team is a leading identifier and generator of the intellectual capital needed to solve the globe’s most pressing problems, and a convener of those driving solutions to help maximize their impact – all in service of our beneficiaries and our mission to promote the well-being of humanity throughout the world. Our activities include: curating world class convenings and other events in Bellagio and around the world; delivering a high quality Bellagio residency and conference program; managing the Rockefeller Foundation Fellowship program; and launching and managing our planned new alumni network and publishing platform/journal. The Bellagio & Fellowships team is part of the Rockefeller Foundation’s Global Policy and Advocacy unit, also comprised of regional offices in Asia and Africa, and the policy, communications, partnerships, and program influence and campaigns teams.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Thought partnership with MD Bellagio & Fellowships and other team members on all aspects of event content and other content, including brainstorming and idea generation
- Ensure team has up to date information on its key issues of focus, and draw attention to relevant emerging trends in geopolitics, philanthropy and global development, and identify significant new ideas in areas such as the UN Sustainable Development Goals, Fragile States, innovative finance and social entrepreneurship
- Help devise and execute content development, including events, articles and blogs, presentations, speaker series, etc.
- Be available to attend meetings with MD (and other team members as directed), ensuring proper briefings in advance and follow-up afterwards
- Help develop concepts and topics for our signature events throughout the year, in Bellagio, New York and elsewhere, and help identify and recruit speakers
- Produce briefings and other material for before, during and after these events, to ensure participants are well prepared and help bring important ideas and outcomes from the event to our broader network
- Participate in other ways as directed to ensure the success of these events. This is a small team that sometimes requires an “all hands on deck” approach to getting things done
- Help with the ideation of our planned new publishing platform/ journal, focused on driving positive change in the world
- Support the commissioning, editing, writing, oversight of design, production etc.
- Participate in the content creation for new alumni network
- Help develop and execute engagement strategies around action by network members
This position reports to the Senior Advisor, Bellagio & Fellowships
Qualifications and Skills
- Curiosity about the world, and in particular, efforts to improve it; an enthusiasm for ideas and debate, especially the sort that result in positive action
- Bachelor’s degree in e.g. public policy, global affairs, journalism
- Masters/Advanced degree preferred
- Demonstrated interest in geopolitics, global development, social entrepreneurship/impact investing, innovation, or similar
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ relevant work experience
- Effective written and oral reporting, analytical and communication skills across programmatic, geographic, cultural and other differences
- Excellent presentation skills with a track record of success in presenting to thought-leaders or senior management and other groups
- Experience working in global organizations and /or contexts strongly preferred
- Has the ability to work independently as well as in a team-oriented, collaborative and collegial environment
- The position is based in New York. Some travel required
- Ability to research, synthesize and integrate disparate pieces of data, analysis, and information
- Ability to multi-task and experience dynamically setting work priorities among competing needs; comfort with a changing work environment
- Excellent communication skills to convey complex information appropriately to stakeholders with different backgrounds and needs, both oral and written
The Rockefeller Foundation is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. To this end, the Foundation ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.
The Rockefeller Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer[ssba]