The Rockefeller Foundation is seeking an experienced Executive Assistant, Health Initiative.
The Rockefeller Foundation has a long history in health – from eradicating hookworm in the American South, to creating the field of public health, to developing the yellow fever vaccine. In 2019, the Foundation will launch a groundbreaking initiative focused on data-driven community health that will leverage new digital tools, advanced analytics and AI machine learning to strengthen primary healthcare in the developing world. Our aim is to lead the global effort for data-driven community health by convening the right global partners, driving innovation, engaging the private sector, and developing public goods and best practices.
The Executive Assistant reports to the Managing Director, Health. The Executive Assistant (EA) will provide administrative support, coordination and organizational support for the Health team. The EA will partner closely with key administrative staff on behalf of the MD, overseeing the calendar and schedule, planning meetings and related organizational events. Will work on Executive level presentation and materials including Board Presentations, the budget and forecast, and be a key point person in the MD’s office regarding any sensitive or confidential matters. Effectively manages the MD’s schedule, time, conference calls and travel plans. Creates agendas for key meetings for the MD, and is able to document and summarize complex content in a clear and actionable fashion. Identifies ways to improve and enhance the functioning of the health team.
The EA serves as an important partner working collaboratively with colleagues and teams across the entire Foundation. The EA knows instinctively and intuitively how to prioritize requests and information to enable the MD to function to their highest ability. Internally and externally, they are an important ambassador for the Foundation representing the organization as needed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides senior level administrative support services and is a key partner to the Managing Director.
- Manages the MD’s time, schedule and calendar.
- Working with the rest of the health team assists in creating agendas for the Health team’s meetings as well as for their one-on-one meetings with the MD. Serves as the heart of coordination and logistics in the execution of critical administrative duties and responsibilities for the MD, and Health team.
- Ensures that the MD’s office and technology and any tools or equipment they require to successfully and flawlessly perform their work is operating effectively. To this end, coordinates with other departments in the organization to support the MD with Employee Services, IT and any other infrastructure groups necessary to support the optimal functioning of the Health office.
- Working with the MD, coordinates work between the Health team and other Foundation teams, and helps to create a smooth process of information exchange between teams.
- Actively builds relationships across the Foundation with other key leaders and their senior level administrators and maintains a close and highly responsive partnership with a busy MD.
- Assists the MD, Health and other members of the Health team in creating high level presentations and any other documentation required on an ongoing basis. This includes but is not limited to: Board Presentations, budgets and forecasts, complex schedules and events and travel and expense documents.
- Serves as an active ambassador of the Health team inside and outside of the Foundation, contributing to creating a positive values-driven culture that engages managers and staff across the Foundation and ensures that the organization’s people are aligned with the Foundation’s new vision, direction and strategy.
- Assists the MD, to be sure they have any data and information they need for Board Meetings, Business Process Review meetings, any other management meetings. Is the principal point person who creates the agendas and solicits topics for these agendas from Health team members.
- Works on special projects as directed by the MD.
This position reports to Managing Director, Health and receives general supervision from them.
Will not have any direct supervision of any other Health team members. However they will actively oversee and coordinate the communication and work of the MD, Health office and team. Will be required to prioritize important requests and projects and know when to seek direction and advice when needed.
Education, Experience and Skills
- A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a related field is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of executive level administrative experience in supporting an Executive Leader is required. As is previous work in a complex, fast-paced and highly professional role and global organization with multiple offices and with a strong mission and focus on people or a related role in a not-for-profit organization focused on a highly dynamic, evolving organization and work environment.
- Direct experience in managing sensitive and confidential matters with a high level of professionalism and grace under pressure is strongly preferred.
- Work effectively both independently, as well as, in a team-oriented, collaborative and collegial environment.
- Has the ability to identify, prioritize and manage agendas, employee communications, high level presentations and documents for a fast-moving, ever changing department and leadership challenge.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and is effective in developing positive and productive relationships with all levels of staff and management across the organization.
- Proven experience working effectively as part of a team and autonomously.
- Proven excellent project management and organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to deliver high quality, accurate work on time.
- Has experience within a highly collaborative, dynamic organization and in an entrepreneurial environment where building policies, program and processes are necessary. Demonstrated technical proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Minimal travel is required both internationally and domestically.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Communication: Excellent interpersonal abilities; outstanding listening skills, writing and verbal skills; Awareness of reputation, positioning and brand management.
- Partnership and Relationship Building: Sensitive to organizational culture, strong professional representation of the Foundation. Strategic partnership building, adaptable and flexible. Commitment to the Rockefeller Foundation’s mission and core values.
- Strategy: Highly strategic mindset with ability to identify and prioritize what’s important in any project, demonstrates innovative approaches to work, ability to organize chaos into coherent plan.
Project Management: High operational and project management ability; proactive. Sound, mature judgment, integrity, and respect for others.
- Decision-Making: Analytical and strong problem-solving abilities, takes initiative, drives for results, ability to prioritize work, communicates problems and proposes solutions, as appropriate.
- Execution: Strong project management skills; meets deadlines; ability to multi-task and work under pressure; detail oriented. Sense of urgency and responsibility, flexible work style; a self-started who can work independently as well as in and across teams.
- Passion and Optimism: Deep enthusiasm for the mission and people of the Foundation; entrepreneurial energy around connecting an engaged staff with the overall impact of the Foundation’s work.
The Rockefeller Foundation is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. To this end, the Foundation ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.
The Rockefeller Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer[ssba]