The Director, Health Programs partners with the Managing Director, Health Programs and the Managing Director, Health Operations and the entire Health Team on in-country programmatic work across the globe. They will apply their medical, public health, data science and technology expertise to the Health Team’s programs. The Director will leverage a multidisciplinary background in health and innovation to play an integral role in the Health Team’s mission to make community health more integrated and digitally enabled. In collaboration with the entire Health Team, they will identify and prioritize interventions that can be augmented with new digital tools and processes that strengthen community health systems in at-risk countries. They will ideate and implement new data-driven community health solutions to improve outcomes and accelerate country achievement of key Sustainable Development Goal targets. They will also apply their scientific, research-based and data-driven public health subject matter expertise and experience to participate in building important partnerships, fundraising and grant-making for international markets where the Health Team does its work. They will work closely with the Health Team and be instrumental in setting up in-country programs based on health technology innovation, data analytics and a keen understanding of in-country health policies and regulations. They will assist the MD, Health Programs with the Regional Offices and specific community health programs being done in the field. This includes providing counsel on shaping the Health Initiative’s programmatic strategy development and the associated implementation model for all in-country Health-related programs. They will participate in creating a pipeline of innovative ideas, approaches and partnerships for the overall work of the Health Team programs. They will evaluate and monitor in-country Health programs in each of the countries that these programs reside. As a senior member of the Health Programs Team they will be both an internal and external ambassador and liaison for the MD, Health Programs and if necessary for others members of the Health Team and the Foundation.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Director, Health Programs partners with the MD, Health Programs and the MD, Health Operations and the rest of the Health Team, to develop and deliver key global in-country Health Programs in pursuance of the Foundation’s vision, mission and key objectives.
- Serves as a thought partner to the MD, Health Programs applying their global public health subject matter expertise and leveraging their knowledge and experience of building and scaling new digital platforms, products and processes.
- Applies a scientific and structured approach to identifying and developing critical in-country programs – translating data science insights into new data-driven products and processes that strengthen community health systems.
- Leverages top-tier academic and professional expertise and experience to address public health challenges innovatively and implements viable, scalable in-country community health solutions that utilize advanced technologies and disparate data sources (health and non-health) to enable actionable insights.
- Monitors new developments in the health tech innovation ecosystem and collaborates with Health Operations and Technology teams to explore new trends, tools and solutions that align with the Initiative’s data-driven community health strategy.
- In support of the MD, Health Programs, provides input into the Business Plan Review (BPR) work related to the Health Programs they are working on.
- Evaluates and monitors in-country programs and ensures progress on all of the established in-country Health work of the Team against specific programmatic goals and objectives.
- Represents the MD, Health Programs at external events and meetings and is seen as an ambassador for them, the Health Team and the Foundation, when necessary.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Communication: Has excellent interpersonal abilities including strong listening, writing and verbal skills; demonstrates assertiveness and effectiveness in presenting their ideas to a variety of internal and external audiences and for multiple and diverse purposes.
- Digital Transformation Experience: Has the ability and previous experience with understanding the health care ecosystem in multiple international locations and where and how to use digital technologies in novel ways to improve public health programs and systems.
- Data Analytics: Experience with a data-driven, research-based approach to both establishing and implementing innovative global public health programs.
- Decision-Making: Has the ability to evaluate risks and opportunities; uses analytical and problem-solving skills; takes initiative and drives for results; is able to prioritize their own work and the work of others and understands how their work fits into the Health Team’s, the Initiative’s and programmatic side of the Foundation as well as the overall mission, strategy and objectives of the Foundation.
- Execution: Has outstanding project management skills; manages their own time well and provides the necessary guidance and direction to others that allows them to successfully meet deadlines; has a sense of urgency and takes responsibility for their work and how this impacts the rest of the Health Team and any of the key groups they interface with on behalf of the MD, Health and the entire Health Team; is able to multi-task and works well under pressure; employs attention to detail with their work and has high standards for accomplishing their work.
- Thought Leadership: Thinks innovatively and creatively about their work and the work of the entire Health team; has strong negotiation skills which enable them to work effectively and efficiently across a large amount of work, people and all internal and external constituencies and demonstrates accountability for their work.
- Partnership and Relationship Building: Has strong professional presence and can be seen as a key representative of the Foundation and the Health Team; has intercultural knowledge and appreciation; and possesses strong strategic partnership building skills.
- People Management: Has the skills to manage a team of administrative staff and approaches managing people as one that employs teambuilding, skill building and overall staff development and engagement.
- Project Management: Has outstanding skills in both developing, leading and executing complex project plans which support the programs, policies and advocacy that they are responsible for.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A four-year undergraduate degree is required as is previous experience in a non-profit organization or foundation or equally dynamic goal-oriented global enterprise. An advanced degree in medicine, public health or administration, or business administration is strongly preferred.
- Has a minimum of 8 to 10 years of relevant professional experience supporting an Executive, a diverse team of professionals of multiple disciplines and a large, complex, strategic global initiative for a dynamic organization on all matters related to their internal and external strategic goals and objectives.
- Ability to manage people and teams to research, analyze, develop and implement projects, new ideas and strategies to successful completion. Sets agendas and timelines for their own work and for that of others to meet the demands of a complex dynamic function.
- Ability to travel occasionally both domestically and internationally and has done so in previous roles successfully.
- Computer proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet search skills and ability to learn new applications quickly. Has proficiency with latest data science tools and in building scalable digital health care technologies.
The Rockefeller Foundation is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. To this end, the Foundation ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.
The Rockefeller Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer[ssba]