Solutions for fast-growing cities
We shape innovations in planning, finance, governance, and infrastructure to manage a rapidly urbanizing world.
For the first time in history, a majority of people now live in cities.
The world population is growing explosively. For the first time in history, more people now live in urban communities than in rural areas. Cities cannot cope with this massive migration. In nearly all the urban areas that will experience the most dramatic growth, there is not enough housing or food or transportation—let alone jobs, schools or health care—to handle the influx. In addition, the floods, droughts and other perilous conditions that result from climate change multiply the dangers in these overcrowded areas.
Models for Coping with Unplanned Urban Growth
The Rockefeller Foundation is exploring the best models for addressing the health and survival threats of unplanned urban areas. We are working with partners and networks to integrate initiatives to:
- Limit future climate change and build resilience to climate change
- Work on urban planning and development to reduce poverty
- Launch and evaluate health and food security initiatives
- Promote equitable, sustainable transportation solutions
- Exploring what makes Intelligent Cities