Secure food, water, housing and infrastructure
We increase food security, effective water and soil protection practices, affordable, sustainable housing, and access to modern infrastructure.
Almost half the world—more than three billion people—live on less than $2.50 a day.
More than a billion people remain in abject poverty without enough to eat or safe water to drink. Half of the people in the world have to survive on less than two dollars a day.
Through interrelated initiatives, the Foundation tackles these challenges, both short- and long-term.
We strive to:
• Enable communities to survive and sustain themselves in the face of life-and-death struggles resulting from floods, droughts, and drops in agricultural yields.
- Create sustainable approaches to shelter and infrastructure in overburdened cities.
- Enhance survival through improving health systems.
- Promote work that can spark innovations and breakthroughs in coping with the world’s most challenging problems.
- Cultivate new networks and systems, such as impact investing, to expand the market for investments that generate social benefit as well as financial gain.